October 20, 2010
Well, that was an interesting final weekend, wasn’t it? On Friday we thought all the play-off spots would be decided early, but we had to wait til a west-coast game finished on late Sunday afternoon to see if we would have one (or even two) tie-breaker games. However, thanks to SFO’s stellar pitching staff (and Billy Wagner striking out the side in the 9th to save the Braves from a humiliating collapse), we have all the spots filled after the 162 game schedule. Sorry, Padres fans, the glass slipper did not quite fit.
So, now we once again turn to those persistent questions of baseball lore (let me know if I have left any out):
– Was last year a fluke and is A. Rod really still Mr. May?
– Can Joe Girardi really manage or was Kate Hudson responsible for last year’s 27th Yankees’ title (and A Rod’s HR’s)?
– Will Bobby Cox be ejected for the 5,000 (and last) time during Game 7 of the World Series?
– Can Tampa Bay sell-out a World Series game?
– Can a pitcher nick-named “The Freak” bring the first ever World Series title to the SF Giants (52 years and counting, half-way to the Cubs’ record for futility)
– Can the Rangers actually win a play-off series? (will Nolan Ryan, the Ranger’s new president/owner, pay Robin Ventura to let him punch him out again to inspire the team to be tough?)
So, while you ponder those questions and prepare for post-season play, here are the current standings in our competition.
It’s close. Everyone except Steve and Pete have both WS teams alive. Everyone picked either NYY (Steve, Jed, Tom, Eric, Pete), PHI (Rocky, Tony, Marc) or TBR (me) to win it all, which all appear to be solid picks. We’ll see.